Friday, April 18, 2008

I now believe in listening!

A good friend once paused the question, why do you think we have two ears and one mouth? I was not in the mood to play smarty! So I said "how the hell do I know, I have to ask God!" He smiled and said, to listen twice as much as you talk!

Well, it was profound enough to have an impact on me. It took some doing to cultivate the habit, to smile, nod and be surprised at what I am hearing without interrupting. However, strange as it may sound, I still go blank when someone cries or get too emotional. Other than that I now believe in listening!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting piece of advice...

.mini said...

so why didn't you believe in listening before?

Aryj said...

interesting theory....i guess the smae goes for eyes too then?

KoNcheKEY said...

let me guess u friend saw it in titus

seems like a cleshay but good advise

Anonymous said...

The reason why you have two ears is to know where sound is coming from. When you hear something you look for it, but what you're doing is directing your ear side by side. Your brain does the rest.

It's always good to acquire knowledge than to boast of what you already know. That's what listening is about. It has nothing whatsoever to do with having two ears and one mouth.

Kaainaath said...

nass & arikko, thanks!

konchekey, thanks too, i know we human have a habit of spoiling he good things...

mini, i didn't believe in a lot of things before!!!!

anonymous, you know maybe we have two ears as an vent for the hot gases that are formed in your stomach! as the mouth takes the food!
I can tell that you're attempting to be smart here, but it also sounds to me like you've got some anger issues that might need professional attention.